While a woman is pregnant her body undergoes numerous changes physically as well as physiologically and spiritually. The physical changes can cause stress and or discomfort to the mother. Massage is a wonderful way to help alleviate many of these discomforts, as well as promotes a sense of well-being.
Benefits of Pregnancy Massage
- Reduces swelling in hands, feet and ankles.
- Lessens sciatic pain.
- Eases muscular discomforts in areas like the low back & neck, calf cramps, it also helps with tension and tightening that can be experienced throughout the body.
- Relaxes tense muscles and can help increase flexibility.
- Helps with relaxation which in turn can decrease insomnia.
- Increases blood and lymph flow which can help increase the elimination of toxins through the circulatory and lymphatic systems, this can also help with fatigue.
- Stimulates the release of endorphins, the body's natural pain killers, into the brain and nervous system.
- Helps relieve anxiety or depression.
- Helps increase blood circulation, which in turn delivers more oxygen and nutrients to the mother and baby .
- Can be used during the labour as well as after making both experiences easier and more comfortable.
- Eases stress mothers often feel after the birth.
There are many more benefits! This list is to give you an idea of how beneficial massage can be during pregnancy!